Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How About Santander & BB&T?

Ok, I know there is plenty of real news right now and I probably should not be spending my time on idle speculation. I also know rumors are a dime a dozen, and I really do not want to be involved in starting any myself. But I find myself wondering whether Spain's Santander (NYSE: STD) would think of having a go at BB&T (NYSE: BBT).

First, let me start by saying that I own BB&T, so I certainly have a personal financial interest in this notion.

I think it is pretty clear that Santander is not finished acquiring assets, and it is equally clear that they want to expand their U.S. operations. The company has been trying to find a way to reach a deal with Buffalo-based M&T Bank (NYSE: MTB), in part by acquiring Allied Irish Bank's (NYSE: AIB) stake in MTB. That said, MTB does not appear to want to sell out to Santander beyond AIB's stake. So we have an impasse there.

But what about BB&T? Although BB&T has large operations in Georgia (one of the sinkholes in the credit crisis) and a large commercial real estate portfolio, BBT has thus far done pretty well throughout the crisis and the bank has a well-earned reputation for both sound and conservative management. BBT management is also on record saying that they will need to make transformational M&A maneuvers in the coming years, and I do not believe the Colonial deal was what they meant.

BBT would give Santander access to a faster-growing area of the country (faster than the Mid-Atlantic), a large deposit base, and a profitable insurance business. The Southeast is also an area seeing significant Hispanic immigration and that might be synergistic for Santander given their operations in Mexico and Latin America.

It also does not hurt that BBT is undervalued right now and could be a cheaper "get" than MTB.

Of course, Santander has ample options - including simply standing pat and growing organically. If Santander wants to grow in the Southeast, Suntrust (NYSE: STI) is an option as well, and so to Regions Financial (NYSE: RF). And who knows? Maybe they go to Texas for Texas Capital Bancshares (Nasdaq: TCBI), or the western US for Zions (Nasdaq: ZION) or the upper midwest for TCF (NYSE: TCB). So on and so on - which is why I do not like speculating on these things; you can do it all day and get nowhere.

Still, I find the idea of a Santander-BBT link-up to be intriguing. I am a fan of both banks and have thought about purchasing Santander relatively recently. If I was not already over-exposed to finance, I probably would have by now. Nevertheless, time will tell ...

Disclosure - I own shares of BBT

No comments: