Thursday, March 14, 2019

Cognex Muddling Through Some Temporary Macro Challenges

I flagged Cognex (CGNX) back in early December as offering rare upside for a high-growth industrial, and though the shares had further to fall before bottoming on Christmas Eve, they’re still up about 20% since that early December article – outperforming its closest peer Keyence (OTCPK:KYCCF) and industrial stocks in general.

It’s a harder call to make now, though I still really like the machine vision space and continue to believe that Cognex has attractive addressable long-term growth opportunities in logistics, autos, and factory automation. I don’t believe my expectations of low double-digit revenue growth and mid-teens FCF growth over the next decade are conservative and I’m worried that there could still be another round of disappointment in consumer electronics and autos, though a negotiated trade agreement with China could brighten that outlook. I’d definitely look at Cognex again were it to pull back to mid-$40’s, but here it looks more like an attractive hold.

Read more here:
Cognex Muddling Through Some Temporary Macro Challenges

No comments: