Monday, December 14, 2020

With Organic Growth Under Pressure Huntington Bancorp And TCF Financial Agree To A Merger

Given the combination of limited near-term organic growth opportunities and healthy capital levels, I expect to see quite a bit of bank M&A activity in 2021. While the combination of Huntington Bancorp (HBAN) and TCF Financial (TCF) surprises me a little bit in that I saw both more as hunters, the logic of the deal in the context of both near-term operating conditions and longer-term opportunity makes sense to me.

For TCF shareholders, I believe this is a fair deal, and one that is structured in a way that gives them future participation in any upside. Huntington was not my favorite bank when I last wrote about it, and the shares have very modestly underperformed peers since then, but I still think this is a pretty well-run bank, and it’s a name where the valuation isn’t too aggressive.

 

Follow this link to the full article: 

With Organic Growth Under Pressure Huntington Bancorp And TCF Financial Agree To A Merger

No comments: