Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Digi International Digging Into The Emerging IoT Service Opportunity

 

Company transformations are interesting opportunities for investors, but not without some risks. I’ve seen plenty of companies announce new initiatives, products/services, and corporate priorities that were little more than attempts to prolong and extend a failed management’s tenure at the helm. But I’ve also seen company transformations that were, well, transformational, leading to major shifts in revenue and margins.

I like what Digi International (NASDAQ:DGII) is shooting for in its IoT Solutions business – offering customers a simplified approach to leveraging IoT for functions like asset tracking and condition monitoring. I also like the exposure to out-of-band network management solutions, and I’m not all that troubled about Digi’s prior history as a lackluster communications hardware company.

My biggest concern at this point is competition/barriers to entry – I would think that Digi’s monitoring services should be relatively sticky once they’re in place, but I have some concerns that are there’s really no “secret sauce” here that would block out other potential rivals.

Even with that concern, these shares look interesting below $20, as I believe high single-digit revenue growth and scaled-up margins can drive a double-digit long-term return from here.


Read the full article here: 

Digi International Digging Into The Emerging IoT Service Opportunity

No comments: