Friday, September 21, 2018

S & W Seed Trying To Restructure, But Liquidity Looms As A Threat

S & W Seed (SANW) is trying to restructure away from an alfalfa market that has proven far more challenging than expected, and as I said in my last update, I like the company’s plan to expand into other crops like sorghum and sunflowers (I’m less bullish on stevia). Unfortunately, as I noted in that last piece, S&W doesn’t have much room to maneuver, as the company’s liquidity is low and access to capital is going to come on less than favorable terms to current shareholders.

I continue to believe that this stock is basically a binary bet, and I don’t tend to like to have those in my portfolio. While I think the company’s efforts to leverage new alfalfa varieties developed with Calyxt (CLXT) have promise, as does the expansion into sorghum and sunflowers, it sounds like the next year is still going to be challenging for the alfalfa business and I’m concerned about the amount of dilution the company will experience in pursuit of a business model that generate meaningful cash flow (or acquisition interest) down the line.

Continue here:
S & W Seed Trying To Restructure, But Liquidity Looms As A Threat

No comments: