Thursday, September 27, 2018

Seacoast Banking Making Money In The Sunshine State

A couple of years ago, Seacoast Banking (SBCF) was a “show me” story where investors were uncertain if the company could execute on opportunities to reduce costs, improve its utilization of technology, and drive better loan growth. Over the past three years, not only has Seacoast delivered on multiple growth and quality metrics, but the shares have roughly doubled since then, roughly doubling the regional bank indices and eking out a small win over CenterState (CSFL) over that time.

There are a lot of things I still find very attractive about Seacoast, including its strong core deposit franchise, its data-driven business model, and its leverage to significantly above-average growth potential in its home state of Florida. While I don’t think there are serious credit risks yet, I do have some concerns about where we are in the cycle and how that might impact a higher-multiple growth bank like Seacoast.
Although the valuation on a P/E basis isn’t bad, I find the long-term discounted earnings valuation a little stretched and I’m worried that bank multiples could re-rate lower. While I think M&A appeal is a back-stop to the valuation, I’d rather see a wider discount to fair value as compensation for some of those risks.

Read more here:
Seacoast Banking Making Money In The Sunshine State

No comments: