Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Steel Dynamics Has Near-Term Challenges, But The Valuation Is Getting Interesting

I was “cautious” on Steel Dynamics (STLD) back in January due to the challenges that come with descending from a cyclical peak, but it has still been among my favorite steel names for some time. To that end, I’m a little surprised that it has underperformed the sector since that last article, though another of my preferred names, Ternium (TX), has done even worse, while Nucor (NUE) has done a little better. On the other hand, a quick look at AK Steel (AKS), ArcelorMittal (MT), Gerdau (GGB), or U.S. Steel (X) and you realize it could still be worse.

I still believe this is a very well-run steel company, but I’m also still concerned about the underlying health of the U.S. short-cycle economy, the prospect of weaker demand and prices, and higher conversions costs. If that weren’t enough, there’s also the matter of meaningful U.S. capacity additions in sheet steel over the next few years. I do believe that Steel Dynamics is undervalued and might have some longer-term appeal now (particularly for investors with a more bullish outlook on the U.S. economy), but I do think Nucor has the better product mix for the next 6 to 18 months.

Read more here:
Steel Dynamics Has Near-Term Challenges, But The Valuation Is Getting Interesting

No comments: