Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Regions Financial's Greater Conservatism Could Pay Off

I was cautious about the near-term prospects of Regions Financial (RF) after first quarter earnings, and the stock has since had a pretty mixed run next to its peer group. I was concerned about the prospect of higher provisioning/reserve-building and loan losses, and that's been what has happened, though it's not clear to me that Regions is actually as bad off as the share price would otherwise suggest.

Regions' balance sheet sensitivity is a concern in a weaker rate environment, even with the company's hedging efforts, and I'm not ruling out the risk that the underlying credit situation is actually worse than its peers. Even so, I think the risk perception is worse than the reality, and I think Regions has positioned itself defensively relative to most of its peers. It'll take time for the underlying long-term value I see here to come out in the share price, but if the post-COVID-19 recession proves worse than the market's current sentiment reflects, Regions could be an outperformer.

Read the full article:
Regions Financial's Greater Conservatism Could Pay Off

No comments: