Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Fifth Third Still Undervalued, But Mind The Weaker Pre-Provision Growth

 Since my last update on Fifth Third (FITB), the shares have outperformed the bank’s peer group. I thought then that the substantial discount to tangible book (20%) was too much relative to what looked like prudent/conservative reserving, and with another quarter in the books, the reserve position is looking pretty good relative to the peer group and my expectation of peak losses.

What I don’t like so much is the company’s somewhat thin cushion of capital and the likelihood that pre-provision profit growth will likely be lackluster for a little while – not an uncommon problem in the sector, but still a potential impediment to reaching fair value. I estimate a near-term fair value in the mid-$20’s, with more upside as the economy recovers, and while this isn’t my favorite bank, I think the valuation keeps it on my list as a name worth considering.

 

Read more here: 

Fifth Third Still Undervalued, But Mind The Weaker Pre-Provision Growth

No comments: