Thursday, February 16, 2017

Cielo Leveraged To A Recovering Brazil, But There Are A Lot Of Moving Parts

On the surface, Cielo (OTCQX:CIOXY) would look like a good play on Brazil's eventual economic recovery. While the merchant acquiring space in Brazil is getting more competitive, Cielo's relationships with Banco do Brasil (OTCPK:BDORY) and Bradseco (NYSE:BBD) supports strong market share and Brazil's relatively low card penetration rate suggests above-average growth potential in the years to come. Go below the surface, though, and there are a lot of competitive risks to consider, as well as potential changes to the regulatory environment that would meaningfully alter the company's business mix.

I like Cielo, and I think it's one of the better-known, higher-quality plays on Brazil. I would be careful about getting a good margin of safety going in, though, and I'm not convinced that's on offer today. While my double-digit required rate of return may be too steep and my expectation of high single-digit FCF growth may be too conservative, I think Cielo is close to fair value and the added competitive and regulatory risk factors push me a little more toward the sidelines.

Read more here:
Cielo Leveraged To A Recovering Brazil, But There Are A Lot Of Moving Parts

No comments: