Monday, October 19, 2020

U.S. Bancorp Focusing On Costs To Offset Spread Income Headwinds

Third quarter results (and guidance) from the large banks underline why I've been preferring banks with meaningful non-spread income sources and/or meaningful operating leverage - in an environment where spread income growth is so difficult, these other areas can drive above-peer pre-provision growth. And so it remains for U.S. Bancorp (USB), where healthy fee-based income and operating leverage helped drive a better-than-expected result for the third quarter.

I was neutral on USB last time around as more of a "slow and steady wins the race" pick, and the shares have since tracked just a bit better than the sector. I like management's more aggressive stance on operating costs and I do still see some options on the M&A side if management wants to go that way. As far as valuation goes, having underperformed most of its peers on a year-to-date basis, I'm seeing a little more relative value here, but I wouldn't call it my favorite idea among larger banks (it's tough to beat JPMorgan (JPM) there).

Read more here: 

U.S. Bancorp Focusing On Costs To Offset Spread Income Headwinds

No comments: