Sunday, March 28, 2021

Calyxt Using A More Conventional Model To Pursue Significant New Agri-Bio Market Opportunities

What do you do when a publicly-traded company continues to pursue a business strategy you don't agree with? If you're me (and I am…), you step aside. There are just too many options out there to just settle for a model you don't like and hope it works out.

That brings me to Calyxt (CLXT). While I did see some potential in the company's former commercial model - one that involved using TALEN gene-editing technology to develop crop seeds with desirable traits, but then attempt to directly commercialize consumer-oriented products - I fundamentally disagreed with it. Since then, the company has shifted to a seed/trait licensing model more in line with what Bayer (OTCPK:BAYRY) and Corteva (CTVA) and other agri-biotechs use, and this is a model I'm comfortable with.

Calyxt is still a risky, speculative play. While TALEN gene-editing technology does have some advantages in the lab (faster development, etc.), there is still both developmental risk and commercial acceptance risk. Still, I like the market opportunities that Calyxt is targeting and I think this is a speculative play well worth considering.

 

Click the link to continue reading: 

Calyxt Using A More Conventional Model To Pursue Significant New Agri-Bio Market Opportunities

No comments: