Friday, December 31, 2010

End of Quarter / End of 2010 Performance Review

All in all, it was an okay year for yours truly.

Fourth Quarter 2010
Portfolio A - up 15.0%
Portfolio B - up 10.7%
Combined portfolios - up 13.3%
S&P 500 - up 10.2%
Nasdaq - up 12.0%
Russell 3000 - up 11.1%

Full Year 2010
Portfolio A - up 25.2%
Portfolio B - up 19.4%
Combined portfolios - up 23.0%
S&P 500 - up 12.8%
Nasdaq - up 16.9%
Russell 3000 - up 13.6%

So there you have it - proof that you *CAN* beat the market without owning a gram of gold, a drop of oil, or a pound of copper - or the stocks of any of the companies that dig them up. Now, I'm not exactly bragging about not owning commodity stocks. I very clearly should have owned some this year and missed several opportunities to buy good companies at good prices. Hopefully I'll be a little wiser in the coming year.

Thinking about the next year, I probably have too much weighting towards industrials. I know I'm a bit overweighted to banks as well, but I think that will be a good move in 2011. All in all, I'd like to get more healthcare, more resources, and maybe a little more overseas into my portfolio. But as always, the trick is in figuring out what to sell. And personally, I'd rather hold great companies in the "wrong" industries than sell just so I can buy a different stock and check an arbitrary asset allocation box.

Here's hoping next year is even better!

No comments: