Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Requiescat in pace



I was very sad to hear this morning of Mark Haines' passing. As CNBC's Squawk Box started about the same time I started on the Street, he really was the backdrop of Wall Street and financial media to me.

I never got to meet the man, but the byproduct of being on TV so long and being open about your feelings and beliefs is that many people feel they know you. So although he was not a friend or acquaintance of mine, I still feel a loss and believe we are all poorer for his passing, though richer for the work he did.

He's a good model for what financial journalism should be - tough, to the point, and intolerant of nonsense, but fair, approachable, and possessed of the knowledge that you have to have a sense of humor and perspective to keep your sanity.

My condolences to his family, friends, and coworkers.

No comments: