Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Texas Capital Bancshares Making Smart Moves, But The Street Anticipates The Improvements

 

When I last wrote about Texas Capital Bancshares (TCBI), I wrote that while I was intrigued by the transformation potential at this Texas bank, I wasn't as comfortable with the valuation. The shares shot up about 50% shortly thereafter on Street enthusiasm for CEO Holmes' initial strategic moves, but have trailed off since then - ending up more or less flat with where they were when I last wrote, and underperforming the larger group of regional banks by about 10%.

I really like what I've been hearing from the company, and not just because it has largely matched the changes I outlined in that prior piece. I agree with the overall philosophy to reduce the bank's focus on more volatile businesses and instead prioritize growing its middle-market Texas commercial lending business, and I believe this move could generate long-term core earnings growth in the double-digits. The "but" is that a lot of that is already in the share price; I'm a big advocate of the idea that successful turnarounds can go much further than you initially think, but it's going to take time to turn around and reposition TCBI.

 

Click the link to continue reading: 

Texas Capital Bancshares Making Smart Moves, But The Street Anticipates The Improvements

No comments: