Saturday, June 28, 2014

Seeking Alpha: Turbulence In Indonesia Is Manageable For Freeport-McMoRan

For all of the attention paid to Freeport-McMoRan's (FCX) issues and challenges with the Indonesian government, it hasn't hurt the stock all that much recently. The shares are up close to 30% over the past year, trailing First Quantum (OTCPK:FQVLF), but otherwise surpassing mining equities with big copper exposure like BHP Billiton (BHP), Antofagasta (OTCPK:ANFGY), Southern Copper (SCCO), and Glencore PLC. That strikes me as a pretty rational response, as although Indonesia is still important to Freeport, that importance declines pretty sharply within a decade and Freeport still has some valuable cards of its own to play.

My basic bullishness on Freeport is predicated on a few factors. First, I think Freeport has a strong collection of copper-producing properties around the world that have offset the political/operating risks in any one location. Second, I think copper is a good place to be in the coming years. Third, I think deepwater Gulf of Mexico E&P assets are still undervalued. Last, I think there's still an "Indonesia discount" in place that overstates the actual value risks to Freeport. All in all, I think these shares should trade closer to $40.

Read more here:
Turbulence In Indonesia Is Manageable For Freeport-McMoRan

No comments: