Sunday, October 16, 2016

Qualcomm Seems Frustratingly Reactive

A little over a year ago, I thought Qualcomm's (NASDAQ:QCOM) valuation was potentially interesting, but I couldn't really recommend the shares due to margin erosion and what I saw as a lack of management initiative to make meaningful changes to grow the business. The shares are basically flat since then, due in part to ongoing worries about market share, pricing, and volume in handsets, as well as a lack of movement on the M&A front.

Really very little has changed regarding my outlook and feelings about Qualcomm. I think management's targets and goals for growth outside of handsets are exceedingly ambitious, and I think the royalty issues could linger on as a perpetual concern. I do find the prospect of major M&A to be interesting (most likely NXP (NASDAQ:NXPI)), though I stand by my comment last year that Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) would have been a better long-term idea. While there is some value here, quite a bit of skepticism, and opportunities to do better, Broadcom (NASDAQ:AVGO) offers similar value and what I believe is a higher-quality business and management team.

Continue here:
Qualcomm Seems Frustratingly Reactive

No comments: