Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Heavy Metal

I'm wondering if this little mini-meltdown in commodity names has any real legs to it. One of my bigger regrets from 2010 is that I couldn't manage to part with any of my current holdings and make room for some quality "stuff" companies. If we could get a nice little correction in materials stocks, though, I'd be happy to do some cherry-picking. After all, I do happen to believe that there is a general link that goes something like "higher global growth = higher commodity prices" - at least for the next few years, at any rate, and before a lot of major new capacity/supply comes on line.

I am not all that interested in gold at this point. There are just too many nuts still beating the "you'll all be sorry when the dollar goes to zero" drum for me to be comfortable with it. I prefer to swim alone and there are just too many other people in the gold pool these days.

Silver and platinum are different stories, though, and I might be interested in Silver Wheaton (NYSE: SLW) or Impala (Nasdaq: IMPUY). I need to do more work on SLW, particularly with respect to what sort of future silver price is baked into the stock today. As for Impala ... well, this may be a name where I just have to swallow hard and hope for the best.

A lot of Impala's future value is predicated on resources in Zimbabwe and that looks like a dangerous bet to me. Zimbabwe's dictator Robert Mugabe (who is theoretically part of a "power sharing" arrangement so not technically a dictator) is a pretty awful fellow even by the low standards of Africa and I don't see how any investor can ever be completely comfortable with a thesis that rests on Mugabe respecting law and honoring contracts. Then again, maybe Mugabe would think twice about messing with a South African company; alienating the West is one thing as they are not likely to interfere directly in Zimbabwe's affairs. South Africa can, and given the right provocation, probably would.

Beyond this, though, there is a short list of names I'm following closely.

Freeport-McMoRan (NYSE: FCX) - owner of one of the best mines in the world, and a major player in copper and gold (as well as molybdenum).

OM Group (NYSE: OMG) - traditionally a player in cobalt, but trying to move into more advanced materials as well.

Vale (Nasdaq: VALE) - a huge Brazilian mining company with interests in iron ore, nickel, potash, and many other resources. I'm not sure any company in the world has a more aggressive expansion plan over the next five years than Vale.

Xstrata (XTA.L) - a global miner of copper, coal, nickel, lead, and alloys.

Thompson Creek (NYSE: TC) - long a player in molybdenum, the company is expanding into gold and copper.

Teck Resources (NYSE: TCK) - met coal, copper, zinc - Teck is leveraged to some of the best commodities for ongoing industrial growth in the developing world.

These are the major names I'm circling right now and hoping that the stocks fall to me. I'm also looking at a host of junior miners in a variety of metals (gold, zinc, potash, etc), but this post is already running on the longish side. When I come up with some actionable ideas there, I'll write a separate post.

OM Group is cheap enough to interest me today and Freeport McMoRan is oh-so-close. I'd need to see about a 10% pullback in the other names to get really excited, though, and maybe actually a bit more with Thompson Creek. Of course, trying to really get a firm sense of fair value on these companies is almost fatuous - I just generally try to pay less than 7x forward EBITDA and pay attention to the underlying commodity charts (as well as the growth in emerging economies and general investor sentiment). After all, why waste my time trying to be precisely wrong instead of vaguely right?

So maybe I get lucky and get to add some quality materials names at attractive prices. Time will tell...

No comments: