Monday, March 19, 2018

Weyerhaeuser's Improved Execution Should Pay Dividends

For me, Weyerhaeuser (NYSE:WY) is an example of why valuation always matters. Generally well-valued (if not richly-valued) for its high-quality timberlands and wood products operations, Weyerhaeuser has lagged the S&P 500 for total returns for quite some time. Even when you account for the tax benefits of its REIT status and the housing slump, I would argue that shareholders have had to pay a price for Weyerhaeuser’s often-rich valuations, as well as several strategic missteps in the past.

I believe that Weyerhaeuser is now a better-run company and I do see some upside in the shares now. The Wood Products segment may be nearing its peak, but I expect healthy ongoing contributions from the Timberlands segment, and I believe Weyerhaeuser is a leaner, better-run, and more focused company than it has been in a long time. Coupled with a reasonable valuation, there could be some opportunity here for patient investors.

Read the full article here:
Weyerhaeuser's Improved Execution Should Pay Dividends

No comments: