Friday, February 8, 2019

Weaker Shipments Sap Insteel's First Quarter, And Margin Threats Remain

It didn’t take long at all for Insteel (IIIN) to show some divergence from my expectations for fiscal 2019, as the company’s first quarter came in meaningfully lower than I expected on weather-related shipment weakness in the quarter. Even so, the conditions in the market remain quite challenging, and it sounds as though the company will be sacrificing margins to maintain volume with customers in 2019 and hoping for some tariff relief.

I’m still comparatively less bullish on non-residential construction in 2019 than many, and I think that presents some risks to volumes and overall earning expectations for Insteel. While I believe this company is fundamentally well-run, the reality of competing against cheaper imported product is a difficult one, and the possibility of weaker-than-expected demand doesn’t help. I saw the possibility of 25% or more downside in my last update, and the shares are down about 15% from there. I do believe that has de-risked the investment case somewhat, but my confidence in the acumen of Insteel’s management is tempered by the ongoing risks presented by macro factors outside of their control.

Click here for more:
Weaker Shipments Sap Insteel's First Quarter, And Margin Threats Remain

No comments: