Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Fastenal's Execution Remains Beyond Fault, But The Valuation And Macro Picture Are More Debatable

With investors feeling noticeably better about industrials over the last three months (the Industrial Select Sector SPDR (XLI) is up about 14%), I'm not altogether surprised that the shares of Fastenal (FAST) are up even more, though the 26% move is still exceptional. When industrials do well, Fastenal almost always does well, and at least, some investors certainly seem to be counting on a stronger second half in that sector.

I remain more cautious. I'm more cautious on the macro outlook for the U.S. economy going into this quarter, though I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong by strong beat-and-raise reports from the sector. I'm also cautious on what looks like a "take no prisoners" valuation that leaves no room for company-specific or more generalized headwinds for Fastenal, even though I do believe there are still growth opportunities in place that can drive above-sector mid-single-digit long-term revenue growth.

Read more here:
Fastenal's Execution Remains Beyond Fault, But The Valuation And Macro Picture Are More Debatable

No comments: