Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Old Dominion Operating At A High Level, But Some Concerning Signs Are Emerging

When I last wrote on Old Dominion (ODFL) in late December, I thought the share price was getting interesting, but wasn’t quite low enough to entice me to buy in ahead of what I believed would be a slower pace of growth in 2019 and 2020. While there are now some signs that slowdown is emerging, the shares are up about 25% since that article. So, let’s just say that earlier call of “not yet…” is not getting printed out and put on the fridge.

I continue to believe, as I’ve long believed, that Old Dominion is a best-of-breed that deserves a premium. I also believe that the ongoing expansion of online retailing is a positive for the less-than-truckload (or LTL) industry, even if Old Dominion itself isn’t all that weighted toward retail. Still, I’m concerned about a slowdown in short-cycle industrial markets in 2019 and 2020 and concerned that Old Dominion could face a one-two punch of more challenging tonnage and pricing. With that, I’m willing to miss out on further gains in Old Dominion shares rather than chase at today’s price.

Click here for more:
Old Dominion Operating At A High Level, But Some Concerning Signs Are Emerging

No comments: