Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Stanley Black & Decker Comes Back With A Stronger Report

A weak, and poorly-received, fourth quarter put Stanley Black & Decker (SWK) in a hole, and while the shares have lagged industrial peers over the last year, the performance since my last update has been noticeably better. With a strong first quarter driven in very large part by the tool business, Stanley’s guidance for 2019 certainly looks more attainable than just three months ago. While I still see risks in the second half of the year from weaker than expected “general industrial” markets, Stanley should be poised to benefit from gradual improvement in auto demand later this year and some self-directed gross margin improvement efforts.

I’m not as interested in the valuation/share price opportunity as I was in January, as the stock has risen more than 20% since then (roughly doubling its peer group). I’m concerned that the market and industrials in particular are ahead of themselves now and I’d prefer to wait for a better entry price before starting a position here.

Read the full article here:
Stanley Black & Decker Comes Back With A Stronger Report

No comments: