Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Infineon Grinding Through Its Downturn

Between elevated exposure to the weak auto market, the overall correction cycle in semiconductors, and concerns that it is overpaying for Cypress (CY), Infineon (OTCQX:IFNNY) has had a rough year. Down about 20% over the past year, Infineon has noticeably lagged the broader semiconductor sector despite a pretty solid record of financially underperforming its peers through cyclical downturns.

I’ve been more bearish on semiconductors than most sell-siders, and so far that position has been the right one. Infineon management has also been more conservative than many chip company management teams with respect to this corrective cycle, and I think that’s the smart way to play it. I think it’ll take a couple more quarters before Infineon sees real, meaningful improvement in orders and inventories, but I find the valuation to be fairly interesting here, and while Infineon may not be my favorite chip company, I like the long-term leverage to auto and industrial electrification and automation.

Read more here:
Infineon Grinding Through Its Downturn

No comments: