Thursday, October 10, 2019

Rates Grinding Down Sentiment For ING

When I last wrote about ING Groep (ING), I wrote that “ING shares remain undervalued and could stay that way for while…”, and so it has been. The shares are down another 20% or so since then, with renewed worries about spread compression as ING is looking at negative rates in its swap portfolio, minimal deposit pricing leverage, and softening underlying macroeconomic trends.

I continue to believe ING is a high-quality, well-run bank, and I believe ING’s strategies to gain share in higher-growth markets can help support above-average loan growth. I likewise am still bullish on the bank’s ability to leverage years of investment in IT into lower operating cost run-rates in the near future. I still believe that a mid-teens fair value for ING is appropriate (ranging from around $13.50 to $16.50 depending upon methodology), but it is increasingly probable that ING may see little-to-no core earnings growth over the next five years, and it’s going to take something more than just low valuation to get investors to reconsider this name.

Read the full article here:
Rates Grinding Down Sentiment For ING

No comments: