Tuesday, October 29, 2019

The Market Shrugs Off Another Weak Quarter From Yaskawa Electric

It’s certainly true that the stock market is a discounting mechanism that looks beyond current results in assessing a company’s value. But it’s also true that investors can get ahead of themselves, and particularly so with companies they like, and I think that’s the case at Yaskawa Electric (OTCPK:YASKY) now. Investors ignored another weak quarter from this leading automation player, content to assume that the bottom is in sight and results will soon start to improve from here.

I have no problem with the overall assumption that Yaskawa is bottoming out. My problem is that the market is assuming a growth rate from here that’s just too high (or using a discount rate that’s just too low), and I struggle to reconcile the likely path of Yaskawa’s earnings and cash flows with today’s valuation. I don’t like taking a negative stance on companies I like, and particularly when I do think they’re near a cyclical low, but I’m struggling to connect the valuation dots on a company already trading at over 18x FY21 EBITDA and nearly 14x FY22 EBITDA.

Click here for the full article:
The Market Shrugs Off Another Weak Quarter From Yaskawa Electric

No comments: