Sunday, June 30, 2013

Q2 2013 Performance Update

After having done pretty well for a while now, I was expecting to lose some ground to the major indices this quarter, and that's exactly what happened. This quarter wasn't a disaster by any means, but my philosophy of "strategic torpor" wasn't as helpful this quarter.

Healthcare and biotech continue to be very good for me, as stocks like Alnylam (ALNY), Accuray (ARAY), Neurocrine (NBIX), Wright Medical (WMGI) were among my best performers. My Portfolio B continues to be hamstrung by a heavy weighting toward telcos and foreign stocks, and the contribution of "dog of the quarter" Statoil (STO) clearly didn't help either.

I have some ideas in the hopper, and they run the gamut of industry/sector, but more weighted towards the smaller market caps.

Q2'13 Performance
Portfolio A - +0.7%
Portfolio B - (4.3%)
Combined Portfolios - (0.9%)

S&P 500 - +2.4%
Nasdaq - +4.2%
Russell 3000 - +2.2%

YTD Performance
Portfolio A - +16.0%
Portfolio B - +4.7%
Combined Portfolios - +12.0%

S&P 500 - +12.6%
Nasdaq - +12.7%
Russell 3000 - +12.9% 




Please note that the market performance figures do not include dividends.

No comments: