Monday, September 8, 2014

Seeking Alpha: Synergy Pharmaceuticals Could Be A Diamond In The Rough

For a biotech that has reported encouraging clinical results and seeks to address a significant market, Synergy Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:SGYP) can't get much love. I can appreciate that there's a funding overhang here and that the market doesn't always embrace drugs that look like "me too's", not to mention a general move away from risky smaller names, but I think those concerns miss a lot of positives at this development-stage biotech.

I don't think plecanatide is just a Linzess wannabe, and I believe direct-to-consumer marketing efforts from Sucampo (NASDAQ:SCMP) and Actavis (NYSE:ACT) (and maybe Salix (NASDAQ:SLXP) down the road) will raise awareness of prescription treatments for constipation and IBS. Moreover, I think plecanatide offers some meaningful quality-of-life advantages that may be underappreciated today. It seems to me that the market currently values Synergy as though it will be forced to market plecanatide on its own (an expensive proposition), but I believe some sort of partnering arrangement, if not an outright sale of the company, is more likely and these shares look undervalued today.

Follow this link to the full article:
Synergy Pharmaceuticals Could Be A Diamond In The Rough

No comments: