Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Maxwell Continues To Sorely Test Investor Patience Ahead Of Commercial Ramps

It has been clear for a while that 2018 wasn’t going to be a great year for Maxwell Technologies (MXWL), but bulls could take some solace in the idea that 2019 would see the start of meaningful ramps in long-awaited opportunities like auto ultracapacitors. While that is still a valid bull thesis in my view, the reality is that 2018 has been tougher than expected, including a higher cash burn that forced the company to move faster with a dilutive financing.

I’m frankly torn on these shares. I do genuinely believe that the company is going to see meaningful auto revenue starting in 2019 from platform wins in active suspension and ADAS backup systems and grow from there, and I do also believe in the potential in areas like rail. On the other hand, this is not a company whose execution track record leads me to want to lend any of whatever credibility I have to them. Accordingly, while I do think these shares are undervalued on the potential of the launches in 2019 and beyond, this is a consummate “caveat emptor” stock and one where you really need to do your own careful due diligence.

Continue here:
Maxwell Continues To Sorely Test Investor Patience Ahead Of Commercial Ramps

No comments: