Thursday, August 16, 2018

Veeco Hit Hard As LED Orders Disappear

In the eight months or so since I last wrote on Veeco Instruments (VECO), this semiconductor and LED tool manufacturer has been on a wild ride. While the shares did spend about a month earlier this year above the fair value estimate of $17.50 I offered in that piece, the shares have since sold off sharply as my concerns about a peaking MOCVD market and inconsistent performance from the Ultratech acquisition seem to be coming to fruition.

My position on Veeco isn’t really all that much different now. I do believe the shares are undervalued, but I believe the traditional MOCVD market is only going to get more challenging and I’m not sure that opportunities like ion beam etch, MOCVD for VCSEL, and Ultratech’s advanced packaging, LSA, and metrology will be enough to fully compensate. Although I think there’s a valid case to be made that Veeco shares should trade in the mid-teens, I’d rather own stocks like Advanced Energy (AEIS) or VAT (OTCPK:VACNY) if I had to own something in the tool/semi equipment space today.

Read the full article here:
Veeco Hit Hard As LED Orders Disappear

No comments: