Friday, December 21, 2018

ABB Punting Power Grids, But Priming The Pump For Growth Will Take Time

ABB’s (ABB) relatively successful turnaround of its Power Grids business ends the way many, if not most, investors hoped it would – the company is selling off the business. While the transaction is messy, I think management got decent-to-good value for a hard-to-move asset. I also believe the subsequent corporate restructuring is logical and should boost long-term margins, but there’s a grumpy skeptic part of my brain that says a lot of these costs, charges, and restructuring efforts could be used to mask lackluster underlying performance over the next 18-24 months, and I don’t like the extent to which management tried to celebrate their current market positioning.

I still own these shares and I still believe this can be a better-run, more profitable, and more successful business than it is. Whether management has the talent to make that happen is still up for debate. I’m not changing my fair value ($25 per share) at this point, but I would note that the risks and costs are weighted to the near term, while the benefits are weighted further down the line.

Read the full article:
ABB Punting Power Grids, But Priming The Pump For Growth Will Take Time

No comments: