Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Allison Transmission Remains Hard To Value In An 'EV Someday...' World

What do you do with a very well-run company that enjoys exceptional margins and would still seem to have room to grow share, but is also looking at a possible sea change in its core addressable market that may leave it with much lower content shares and margins? That’s the conundrum with Allison Transmission (ALSN) today; management continues to execute well and generate fantastic margins and cash flows for a commercial vehicle components company, but the advent of electrification in commercial trucks threatens its entire business structure.

I do believe that commercial vehicle electrification is a “when, not if” situation, but that leaves plenty of uncertainty over timing, not to mention content (some commercial EVs will still have transmissions). Likewise, while Allison is investing in EV technologies of its own, it’s unlikely to enjoy the same sort of share and margins, but how big will the change be?

I generally make it a policy to step aside if I don’t feel like I have a great handle on valuation, and that applies here to some extent. I’m really not worried about Allison’s future over the next five years or so, but I’d need a price closer to $40 to coax me in.

Continue here:
Allison Transmission Remains Hard To Value In An 'EV Someday...' World

No comments: