Thursday, June 28, 2018

Semtech Has Made Progress, But Really Needs LoRa To Take Off

I wasn’t a big fan of seemingly perennial underachiever Semtech (SMTC) back in 2016, and the path since then hasn’t been entirely smooth. The company has done a little better than I’d expected with revenue (beating my circa-2016 expectations by 3% in the last two years), but adjusted free cash flow has been slow to develop, and the company’s key driver, LoRa, has come in well short of management’s targets from a few years ago.

With a strong move in the shares since the last quarter, the stock’s performance has been slightly better than the SOX since my last update, on par with Silicon Labs (SLAB), and below ON Semiconductor (ON) (and well above Maxim (MXIM) and MACOM (MTSI)), but I don’t feel like I’ve missed much with slightly-better-than-sector performance. I’m more encouraged by what I’ve seen recently in the data center and PON businesses, as well as protection, but a lot is riding on increased uptake/usage of LoRa. I’d also note that while I don’t see tremendous value here, the shares have appeal as a takeout candidate.

Click here for more:
Semtech Has Made Progress, But Really Needs LoRa To Take Off

No comments: